Welcome to the Period 3: April, 2016 – July, 2016 Performance Evaluation of SDUSD Supt. Cindy Marten.
To get full context of this evaluation, please read the Introduction:
The Period 1 Evaluation:
- A 12 MONTH DISASTER!!! 2015/1016 SDUSD Supt. Cindy Marten Performance Evaluation – Period 1: Lies, Student Sexual Abuse and Cover Ups
The Period 2 Evaluation
- A 12 MONTH DISASTER!!! 2015/1016 SDUSD Supt. Cindy Marten Performance Evaluation – Period 2: December, 2015 – March, 2016: District Attorney Proof, El Niño Site Danger and Tased at Lincoln High
Here is the updated Trust Pyramid with Supt. Marten’s violations from Period 1 and 2 included:
Here is the San Diego Ethics Code and the Supt. Cindy Marten Ethics Code Violations so far:
Period 1 and 2 Ethics Code Violations by Supt. Cindy Marten:
1. Fairness, dignity, respect. We will treat each other and members of the community fairly and with dignity and respect. 3. Public trust. As public servants, we will act to earn, promote and maintain the public’s trust and confidence in the San Diego Unified School District. 4. Personal gain from position or resources. We will not use our district position for personal or private gain. We will not use public resources for private non-district purposes nor for purposes other than for which they were intended. We will not solicit or accept contributions for non-district purposes from outside vendors who may do business with the district. 9. Use of authority. We will not use our authority to intimidate, threaten or retaliate against a person to attempt to interfere with the disclosure of potentially improper governmental activity. 10. Failure to comply. We understand that employees who fail to comply with the provisions of this Ethics Code may be subject to administrative legal action as provided under district policy, collective bargaining agreements and the California Education Code.
Period 3: April, 2016
April, 2016 was SDUSD Supt. Cindy Marten’s “Fool English Language Learner” Month
District Deeds exposed the Supt. Cindy Marten destruction of the nationally recognized San Diego Unified English Language Learner program back in July, 2014 in “SDUSD English Language Learners Feel the Royal Command Pain of Superintendent Inexperience”
In April, 2016, almost 2 full school years later, according to Whistleblower, “Concerned ELL Teacher”, the disastrous results of Martens’ “Trick” of removing ELST’s has had horrible impacts on some of the neediest SDUSD Students.
The negative repercussions of ELST “Martenization” has had devastating results.
Prior to the change, ELSTs had monthly professional development, this has not been the case this year. These monthly meetings served to share information about compliance, best practices and foster a collegiality among the ELSTs.
There was some attrition and the ELST’s who were hired to replace those lost through attrition were not necessarily teachers who had a great deal of specialized experience working with Els but rather hired because of the nepotism that plagues this district.
Given that many of the top OLA staff had been pushed out, these new inexperienced ELSTs did not receive the intensive training that was the norm in years past, in fact the remaining ELSTs were expected to train these fledgling ELST’s while also performing their required duties.
The work of ELST’s was always focused on the students. After compliance duties were completed, ELSTs were expected to work directly with students on improving their language skills. This was especially invaluable for students who entered during the year without any prior exposure to English. It was the work that most ELST’s enjoyed the most; but that was then. Now even though the LCAP states that “ELSTs work closely with EL students,” ELSTs are being dissuaded from working directly with students in any instructional capacity.
They (the remaining ELST’s) are heavily involved in monitoring their progress and “encouraging” them to work towards reclassification. This focus on reclassification and monitoring is not for the benefit of the students but is data driven.
ELST’s are having to prove their worth by showing how much students are improving, even though students are NOT receiving the same degree of support that they had in the past.
The ELST’s main duty, other than the monitoring component, seems to be delivering staff development, which also is disjointed and not occurring at all schools with the same fidelity. Again, not an improvement.
Continuation of the 2 YEAR ELL DISASTER clearly shows Marten cannot be trusted by English Learner Students, Families, Teachers, Staff or any Stakeholders and Taxpayers to keep any promises she makes in the LCAP, LCFF, SPSA or any other SDUSD FAKE plan.
Period 3: May, 2016
May, 2016 was SDUSD Supt. Cindy Marten’s SECRET “Fake Restorative Justice “Plan”” Month
After the major Supt. Cindy Marten Restorative justice betrayal in the Lincoln High School Incident we highlighted in Period 2, there was an outcry from the San Diego Unified Stakeholder Community to truly implement Restorative Justice Practices.
When asked about the next steps, according to SDUSD insiders, Marten claimed that there was a plan in progress that “Senior Staff” had been formulating.
We announced the Marten Propaganda event on District Deeds: SAN DIEGO UNIFIED BOARD MEETING NEWS FLASH: Secret Restorative Practices Plan To Be Unveiled This Week!!!
After some investigation and discussions with SDUSD Restorative Justice staff and associates, NO ONE had any clue about what the “SECRET” Plan contained.
NO existing Skilled SDUSD Restorative Justice related staff was consulted about the plan
NO existing Skilled Restorative Justice Community Partners were consulted about the plan
No existing Skilled School Site Management or Staff were consulted about the plan
NOBODY Inside or Outside of the SDUSD Who Have REAL Restorative Justice Credentials were consulted about the plan…
THE FAKE SECRET PLAN PROVIDED BY CINDY MARTEN PROVED IT!!!
We attended the SDUSD Board Meeting and announced the Marten Propaganda event on District Deeds: SAN DIEGO UNIFIED BOARD MEETING NEWS FLASH: Secret Restorative Practices Plan To Be Unveiled This Week!!!
So what IS the SUPER SECRET Restorative Justice Plan devised by SENIOR STAFF that Supt. Marten bloviates about with the cold-blooded abuse to use Teachers, Students, Parents, and Staff as PROPS?
THE SECRET PYRAMID!!!!
THAT’S IT—A SECRET PYRAMID!!!!
District Deeds is hanging the Restorative Justice Pyramid upside down because the SDUSD Restorative Justice Program is in DEEP distress!
The worst thing?
The Pyramid CONTAINS ITEMS NOT RELEVANT TO REAL RESTORATIVE JUSTICE PRINCIPLES!
Subsequently, after the Supt. Marten Propaganda event, District Deeds discovered that the SDUSD DID NOT SPEND ONE DIME from the SDUSD budget supporting Restorative Justice in the SDUSD!!!
EVERY PENNY for the 2015/2016 Restorative Justice pilot program came from Grants from credentialed Restorative Justice Community Partners…the SAME Community Partners excluded from the ridiculous SECRET PYRAMID PLAN!
In the weeks after the Marten Propaganda event, District Deeds dug deeper.
We asked the HEAD of the SDUSD Department that manages Restorative Justice 2 questions the day AFTER the SDUSD Board of Education approved the 2016/2017 Budget.
1. What was the SDUSD Restorative Justice Budget for the 2015/2016 School Year?
Answer: I don’t know.
2. What is the SDUSD Restorative Justice Budget for the 2016/2017 School Year?
Answer: I don’t know.
District Deeds is hanging the Restorative Justice Pyramid upside down because the SDUSD Restorative Justice Program is in DEEP distress:
- Without a well-developed Restorative Justice plan
- Without the Department Head aware of the Restorative Budget AFTER its approval by the Marten and the Board
- With NO REAL collaboration with the credentialed and community Restorative Justice Stakeholders.
- With untrustworthy and fake Superintendent Cindy Marten spouting platitudes using the neediest Students as PROPS!
Unfortunately, as long as Cindy Marten remains as Superintendent, the SDUSD to Prison Pipeline is gushing the NEEDIEST Students.
Period 3: June, 2016
June, 2016 was SDUSD Supt. Cindy Marten’s “Hiring Nightmare” Month
Prior to becoming Superintendent, Elementary Principal Marten’s most important hiring decision was probably what neighborhood kid would mow her lawn.
Since Supt Marten has taken her position, cronyism and poor screening has been the hallmark of her flawed hiring “process:
Martens’ total lack of personnel hiring skill was on display in June, 2016 when three of her hand-picked senior Staff were exposed to the public as highly questionable if not unqualified.
The first fiasco involved the Marten “hand-picked” Principal at Serra High School. The Principal was recruited by Marten from the east coast in September, 2014.
A little over a year later, in October 2015, the Principal was accused by teachers of inappropriate comments and had already lost the confidence of the staff:
On Sept. 9, teachers at Serra High took a vote of “no confidence” against Mays. Fifty-six of the school’s 72 San Diego Education Association members disapproved of the job Mays is doing. Three members approved of Mays’ performance, while the remaining 13 abstained. – ABC 10 News
Here is the story on ABC 10 News San Diego:
Marten did virtually nothing to remedy the situation and the conflict got progressively worse,
Then in May, 2016 the next bombshell hit Serra High School. San Diego 7 here and here proved that Marten had not appropriately vetted the Serra Principal credentials when hiring him and did not know he had apparently falsified a DOCTORATE Degree on his record.
Marten and the Board of Education reaction was DENIAL that falsification of records by a Principal was unethical and totally improper. In other words, business as usual for Marten and the Board.
When Marten did NOTHING supported by Trustee Mike McQuary, the situation got out of control and has devolved into Hate Crimes against the Principal and Staff!
The second hiring fiasco is the Martens’ recruited and hand-picked Chief Information Officer that we described in “San Diego Unified CIO “Body Wash Up On Shore” Comment More Real Than You Think!“.
Marten picked a Chief Information Officer that insinuated the suggested death of a female reporter who had been honest about the misdeeds of the San Diego Unified.
Marten, in support of this threatened retribution, showed her total disregard for civility and ethics and did absolutely NOTHING! except make excuses.
The third hiring and firing fiasco is regarding Principal turnover t Lincoln High School. As we have documented numerous times, Supt, Marten removed Principal Esther Omogbehin and replaced her with a hand-picked, severely inexperienced replacement. The rest is history.
With poor Supt.Marten leadership and poor Lincoln High School leadership, the school site devolved into what we described in “The Lincoln High School Altercation: Is San Diego Unified Supt. Cindy Marten a THIRD STRIKE OFFENDER?”
Now a Voice of San Diego article by Mario Koran titled “Lincoln High’s Revolving Door Claims Another Leader” proves the poor hiring practices of Supt. Cindy Marten with the removal of her hand-picked Principal after only 2 years.
Period 3: July, 2016
July, 2016 was SDUSD Supt. Cindy Marten’s “Brain Drain” Month
In the past two years, District Deeds has detailed how many of the most highly skilled Senior Staff, Principals, Teachers and Site Staff have RAN AWAY from the San Diego Unified School District being “managed’ by the poorly credentialed, inexperienced and vindictive Supt. Cindy Marten. Here are some examples:
- SDUSD – Marten “PURGE” BREAKING NEWS! District Deeds Prediction Coming True! 25 SAN DIEGO UNIFIED SCHOOL SITES LOSING PRINCIPALS IN 2015…SO FAR!
- San Diego Unified BRAIN DRAIN Continues: Phil Stover – Former SDUSD Deputy Superintendent Named Sweetwater Union Interim Superintendent!!!
Since those posts, many more excellent Educators have left.
Multiple rumors of screaming matches, sexual trysts among Senior Staff, harassment and inappropriate behavior occurring in the District office during Supt. Martens’ tenure prove that running the SDUSD is too big a job for her limited skills and knowledge and drives away the REAL professional educators.
There are rumors of ANOTHER highly skilled, well-regarded, Senior Staff member in a key position, but poorly supported by Marten, leaving in the next few days and further weakening the SDUSD.
Losing highly credentialed Principals with many years of experience and replacing them with Elementary and District Office Resource Teachers that have no experience and are willing to sell their soul (like Marten did herself) for the promotion is not a recipe for high quality education pr ethical examples for SDUSD Students.
PERIOD 3 EVALUATION SUMMARY
PERIOD 3 – Supt. Cindy Marten Trust Pyramid Violations:
Caring Transparency Openess Honesty Fairness Authenticity Experience Credibility Skills Knowledge Experience Reputation Credibility Performance
Period 3 – Supt. Cindy Marten SDUSD Ethics Code Violations:
Example: Supt. Marten using Students and Teachers as PROPS in a fake Restorative Justice propaganda event destroys any belief that she actually respects Students, Teachers and Stakeholders. Betraying EL Students with a flawed, non-functional ELL Plan and Program is the epitome of unfairness to the neediest of Students and Families.
1. Fairness, dignity, respect. We will treat each other and members of the community fairly and with dignity and respect.
Example: When one of your handpicked Senior Staff allude to a reporters body washing up on shore, a handpicked Principal has falsified his credentials and is caught, and another handpicked Principal that you had inserted for a highly effective Principal you removed, and he only lasts two yeas amidst a major site disaster, trust in Supt. Marten is nonexistent.
3. Public trust. As public servants, we will act to earn, promote and maintain the public’s trust and confidence in the San Diego Unified School District.
Example: Again, the Propaganda Event that exploited Students as Props for a Fake Restorative Justice Plan is using the most valuable SDUSD assets – the Students – to cover up Supt. Martens’ inadequacies.
4. Personal gain from position or resources. We will not use our district position for personal or private gain. We will not use public resources for private non-district purposes nor for purposes other than for which they were intended. We will not solicit or accept contributions for non-district purposes from outside vendors who may do business with the district.
Examples: The Brain Drain of hundreds of highly qualified, highly credentialed Senior Staff and Educators is evidence that intimidation and retribution tactics by Supt. Marten makes the SDUSD a toxic work environment for anyone with skills, morals or ethics.
9. Use of authority. We will not use our authority to intimidate, threaten or retaliate against a person to attempt to interfere with the disclosure of potentially improper governmental activity.
Example: By Supt. Marten violating SDUSD Ethics Code Items 1, 3, 4, and 9 she automatically failed “to comply with the provisions of this Ethics Code”
10. Failure to comply. We understand that employees who fail to comply with the provisions of this Ethics Code may be subject to administrative legal action as provided under district policy, collective bargaining agreements and the California Education Code.
PERIOD 3 EVALUATION SUMMARY
Based on the Fake Restorative Justice plan developed without any Community, Site or existing Staff experts, Betrayal of all ELL Families, causing the Best Educators to flee the SDUSD and replacing them through Cronyism and selecting unqualified Sycophants, the Performance Evaluation for Period 3 for Cindy Marten is job termination from the Superintendent position.
Coming up next:
A 12 MONTH DISASTER!!!
SDUSD Supt. Marten’s Illegitimite “Love Letter” Evaluation Disqualifies Trustees Evans, Payne and Barrera for Nov. 8th Election!!! – Summation: August, 2015 – July, 2016
- Your family has been injured by the San Diego Unified School District, go to the District Deeds Complaint Forms page to find instructions to fight for your Civil Rights!
- YOU ARE TIRED OF THE COVER UPS AND LIES BY SUPT. CINDY MARTEN…
Please Click the Link Below and sign the Petition Today and READ the COMMENTS to Support the REMOVAL of Marten by SDUSD Stakeholders!
- You want to be sure you don’t miss an issue of District Deeds, click the “follow” button below and you will get an email automatically when an article is published on District Deeds.
- If you prefer social media, click any of the icons below and follow District Deeds on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.