I am Frank Engle, the father of three students who attended the San Diego Unified School District over the past 20 years and the editor of District Deeds since 2014.
I have served:
- As a member of the DAC for Compensatory Education for 10 years as a Representative of Franklin Elementary and SCPA.
- As 1st Vice Chair and 2nd Vice Chair of the DAC multiple times.
- As a member of both the Transportation and Title 1 Tiger Teams in 2011, as the Chair of both the Custodial and the K-12 Arts Tiger teams in 2012 and 2013
- As a member of the GATE DAC for as a Representative for both Franklin Elementary and SCPA for 6 years.
- As a member of numerous SDUSD staff hiring committees for Principal, Vice-Principal and Peer Coach.
- As the Chair (11 years) of the Franklin Elementary SSC
- As the Chair (9 years) and Member (11 years) of the SCPA SSC
- As the Hoover and Morse Cluster Representative (4 years) on the SDUSD Cluster Congress
- As Chair (1 year) and member (4 years) of the Hoover Cluster Leadership Council
Throughout my time in the San Diego Unified School District, my kids and I have weathered 9 principal “reassignments”, 6 district administration changes, dismantling of key departments (GATE), removal of student learning programs (Old Town, Balboa Park, 6th Grade Camp) and a school closure scare (Franklin) for budget cuts. And that doesn’t even count missing out on the chance to see the Principal I have worked beside for 7 years on the SSC at SCPA hand my graduating daughter her diploma.
But I am still standing…bloody but unbowed and look forward to using this blog for an open dialogue to create transparency and shine a light on all the important things we need to know as Parents, Teachers, Principals, Community Members and especially Students.