ELL, John Lee Evans, Marne Foster, Michael McQuary, Richard Barrera, San Diego Unified School District, San Diego Unified School District Superintendent Cindy Marten, Superintendent Marten
San Diego Unified Grand Jury Accomplice Superintendent and Grand Jury Accused Trustee Meddlin’ Marne Foster along with Board Trustees Richard Barrera, John Lee Evans, and Mike McQuary apparently were able to break multiple County, State and Federal Education Codes and Title 1 rules within a 10 minute period at the June 23, 2015 San Diego Unified School District (SDUSD) Board of Education (BOE) Meeting.
Within that brief period, the incompetent Elementary School Superintendent Cindy Marten tied to hatch her preposterous 2014/15 Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA) COVER-UP and recommend that the SDUSD BOE improperly pass the improper and likely illegal 2 year 2014 – 2016 SPSA motion 4-0 WITHOUT LEGALLY REQUIRED PUBLIC COMMENT! (A VIOLATION)
Given this OBVIOUS VIOLATION by Superintendent Marten and the BOE along with all the violations described below in this post, VIRTUALLY EVERY STAKEHOLDER at every one of the 176 SCHOOLS IN THE SDUSD has grounds to FILE A UNIFORM COMPLAINT against the SDUSD and also request to a SAN DIEGO COUNTY GRAND JURY INVESTIGATION!
The SDEA – the Teachers Union—filed a grievance against the SDUSD for improperly removing the ELST’s AND WON as we outlined in a previous District Deeds post titled SDEA Gets a Grievance Settlement for Marten ELST Removal Blunder – Students Get Nothing
NOW IT IS TIME FOR THE REST OF THE SDUSD STAKEHOLDERS TO HOLD THE INCOMPETENT SUPERINTENDENT AND BOARD OF EDUCATION ACCOUNTABLE!
Here is the SDUSD BOE violation by not allowing Public Comment BEFORE a vote during a Public Hearing which NEGATES the approval vote:
Since the inept BOE President Meddlin ‘Marne Foster did not correct the “mistake” and “reset” the FULL hearing including discussion and another vote, the BOE BROKE THE RULES OF Title 1 Hearings… (A VIOLATION).
There are potentially HUNDREDS of irrevocable individual actions and violations that the SDUSD Superintendent and BOE took in June, 2014 and June 2015.
The multiple violations…violations in the majority (if not all) of the 176 San Diego Unified School Sites covered by the SPSA…are solid grounds for UNIFORM COMPLAINTS by ALL SDUSD Stakeholders along with ANOTHER DAMNING SAN DIEGO COUNTY GRAND JURY INVESTIGATION!
The following is the FULL STORY…with NO spin from the SDUSD Propaganda Department:
The WELL ESTABLISHED SPSA and budget Process IN JUNE 2014 WAS fairly straightforward….here are the SIMPLE ESTABLISHED STEPS:
- January – May: using the estimated budget provided by the SDUSD Central Office, School Site SPSA’s are initiated, developed, finalized, approved by School Site Council (SSC) vote/Signed by SSC Chair and Principal and submitted to the District Budget Office for review and preparation to submit to the Superintendent and BOE for approval
- May – Early June: District Staff prepare and make cosmetic adjustments to the SPSA
- Late June:
- At final June BOE Meeting, Superintendent Submits SPSA’s to BOE for Approval
- Board Approves the SPSA’s
- Superintendent submits initial Budget Estimate that aligns with SPSA’s to BOE for approval
- Board approves the Budget to submit to County Office of Education
- September: Final version of Actual Budget aligned with SPSA’s is created and submitted
Here is the timeline on how the Superintendent and Board Actions neglecting to pass the 2014 SPSA fiasco actually went:
January – May, 2014
- SPSA’s from all 176 SDUSD schools are created and submitted as described in the first step above.
- Due to her lack of large budget experience, Marten discovers a large hole in the SDUSD budget.
- In a panic Marten and her inner circle Central Office cronies announce AN ILL-ADVISED plan to fill the BUDGET hole by ILLEGALLY ELIMINATING 111 HIGHLY SKILLED English Language Support Teachers (ELST) (in Violation of the Union Contract) in the neediest SDUSD schools and victimize THOUSANDS of the poorest and most vulnerable SDUSD English Language Learner (ELL) Families and Students. (A VIOLATION)
- A panicky Marten made the announcement of the ELST elimination during GRADUATION WEEK and gave Principals 2 days to submit a new budget with the COMMAND to eliminate 1 non-classroom staff member…and actually suggested eliminating the ELST in over 100 SDUSD schools. (A VIOLATION)
- Eliminating ELST’s from the budget at the end of the school year GUTTED ALL OF THE ELST STRATEGIES IN THE 2014/15 SPSA’s…but it was too late to “collaborate” with SSC’s or the School Site ELL Communities before the budget had to be approved…therefore SPSA’S WERE UNABLE TO BE APPROVED BY THE SCHOOL SITE SSC’S. (A VIOLATION)
- The inexperienced Elementary School Principal Marten DID NOT REALIZE that the elimination of headcount in over 100 school site budgets had far reaching NEGATIVE REPERCUSSIONS IN THE SDUSD HUMAN RESOURCES, ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE DEPARTMENTS that would not only take months to resolve but also FREEZE SCHOOL SITE COMPENSATORY FUND BUDGETS AND DENY SERVICES TO HUGE NUMBERS OF ELL STUDENTS AND FAMILIES FOR THE FIRST SEMESTER OF 2014/15 SCHOOL YEAR! (A VIOLATION)
- In the Board Meeting of June 24, 2014, the SDUSD BUDGET was APPROVED by the BOE WITHOUT ANY SPSA’S BEING APPROVED. (A VIOLATION)
- The Budget enclosed in the Consolidated Application (ConApp) was submitted improperly by the SDUSD to the County Office of Education without having approved SPSA’s. (A VIOLATION)
- Many SDUSD School Sites that had budgeted ELST Support HAD THE MAJORITY OF THEIR COMPENSATORY FUNDS BUDGETS FROZEN UNTIL JANUARY 2015 thereby DENYING ELL STUDENTS THE SUPPORTS THAT THEY LEGALLY DESERVED TO RECEIVE! (A VIOLATION)
District Deeds first exposed the illegal Marten and BOE SPSA cover-up on February 27. 2015 in the post called Marten Miracle or Marten Cover-up? Time Travel or Violation of Title 1 Guidelines?
At that time, with the help of District Advisory Council for Compensatory Education (DAC) Past President David Page, one of the MANY WAYS that the SDUSD VIOLATED STATE AND FEDERAL LAW is illustrated below:
For receiving State and Federal Funds WITHOUT an accompanying BOE APPROVED SPSA FROM EVERY SCHOOL FOR THE 2014/15 SCHOOL YEAR BEFORE THE SCHOOL YEAR BEGINS here is the law:
- “EC Section 64001 specifies that schools and districts that receive state and federal or other applicable funding through the district’s Consolidated Application (ConApp) process prepare a SPSA for any recipient school. The SPSA is a blueprint to improve the academic performance of all students. SPSA specifics are also included in the Federal Program Monitoring process.”
There was NO SDUSD Board of Education Approval of 2014/2015 SPSA’s for schools receiving Title 1 funds in June, 2014 for the Federal and State funds ACCEPTED AND SPENT FOR THE 2014/15 SCHOOL YEAR! (A VIOLATION)
District Deeds will be following up ON THIS BLOG with ways SDUSD Stakeholders can file UNIFORM COMPLAINTS against the SDUSD for these and other violations and also participate in a SAN DIEGO COUNTY GRAND JURY INVESTIGATION regarding the SDUSD Superintendent Marten and BOE “BROWN VS. BOARD OF EDUCATION” violations.
SEND US AN EMAIL TO DISTRICTDEEDS@GMAIL.COM AND WE WILL PROVIDE YOU ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED TO FILE YOUR COMPLAINT!!!
IT IS TIME TO STAND UP FOR OUR STUDENTS…AND FOR OURSELVES…SEND US AN EMAIL TODAY TO GET STARTED!
Francisca Salcedo said:
There was no discussion before the SPSA vote; I was the only person scheduled to speak on this matter and when the board members voted before hearing my testimony I was in complete shock!
Pingback: CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION VERIFIES: English Language Learner Uniform Complaint Appeal Against the San Diego Unified School District is ALIVE!!! | District Deeds